Sourcing Herbert

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Sourcing Herbert

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 months ago

I've always wanted to properly learn Denis Behr's wonderful "Herbert" trick.

However, I could never find the proper bands for it (it requires a band slightly smaller than standard american size 16 band).

So... I meet Denis this week and ask him about finding the proper bands and he tells me that they're some Japanese produced bands a friend provided to him. So I go out in my car (where I had a bunch of bands that I've been using to learn various other band tricks) and amazingly, I already had the correct band and didn't know it! Actually have a whole box of them that I'd bought at a local Japanese stationary store and never tried them, because I bought them for other tricks.

So.... for those of you who can't find the proper bands, these are the ones that work perfectly for the trick.
herbert Bands (DAISO store Sacramento).jpg
In the U.S. (California at least) these can be found at a chain of stores called "Daiso". I don't think this store has any European locations. The box cost just two or three bucks and contains at least a hundred bands.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Denis Behr

Post by Denis Behr » 3 months ago

That's good to know. Many people ask about where to get proper rubber bands. I didn't buy new ones for more than a decade, as I stocked up heavily years ago... (Those are silicone or so and don't turn brittle over the years.)
"The existence of gospel magic seems to me as compelling an argument for atheism as could be imagined."
T.A. Waters

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 3 months ago

I moved this thread to the publicly available forum to make it easier to share the information with people who need the proper bands.

Tested the various colors and found the yellow be be the most useless (though good for practicing). All the dark bands (green, blue, purple) work great on against a red bicycle back. The red band looks nice against the blue bicycle deck.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 week ago

Upon actually dumping out a box and doing a quick count/estimation, I'd say that each small box (which costs about $1.50) actually contains 350+ bands.

Denis Behr

Post by Denis Behr » 1 week ago

Herbert sellout! :-) In Japan, there are 100 in a pack:

"The existence of gospel magic seems to me as compelling an argument for atheism as could be imagined."
T.A. Waters