If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Publicly viewable forum created so Chris can bloviate in a more visible way. Available for guest commenting on a moderated basis.
Jeff Haas

Re: If I wanted to start learning a bit about Okito coin box work...

Post by Jeff Haas » 2 months ago

I guess that confirms it... everything will be cloned.

What's interesting with the Morgans is that there are a ton of old coins that have been reproduced, from multiple countries. The comments show that some people just want to collect them. At some point someone realized they could sell to magicians.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 2 months ago

I'm waiting for one of the coin producers to realize that magicians like "soft" coins and start producing those, or smoothing out the current Morgans.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Mark Papa

Post by Mark Papa » 2 months ago

I asked this question at the Green Place. Probably more likely to get an informed answer here:

I'm relatively new to Okito box magic and have just discovered a routine that requires two boxes and a switch.

So the question is, if I'm going to get a duplicate box, which type of box should I get? Which type which will afford me as much utility in other two box routines as possible? A duplicate regular box, a duplicate Boston box or a duplicate slot box?

Jeff Haas

What's the routine? And which box do you already have?
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

I thought about buying the matching "boston" version of my buddha box, but it seems premature. I want to learn some of the basic routines that don't require that (or switching it in).
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan » 2 months ago

I bought a Buddha Boston Box because the design of the sides makes the coin recess look like a foot, rather than a gaff.

Don't bother switching, just don't allow anyone to handle it while they're holding a coin.
I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm puzzled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

Dr. Amy Farah Fowler

Jeff Haas

I 3D printed an Okito box and a Boston box - and now I get why these things are made of brass. You need the weight to do the moves well - especially dropping the base and having it flip over. Just like cups & balls, they need heft. I ordered an inexpensive Boston box to try out.

I hadn't seen the Buddha boxes before, they look really nice! They really look like "antique pill boxes" instead of the standard straight-sided design.

I also spotted listings for the Kartis boxes. Anyone try those out? Interesting design.

Jeff Haas

Also, take a look at Kostya Kimlat's Okito box routine - very simple and direct, and practical:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic ... x-routine/

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 months ago
Also, take a look at Kostya Kimlat's Okito box routine - very simple and direct, and practical:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic ... x-routine/
Agreed, and evidently not too tough technically. Also uses a regular box.

Jeff Haas

It's one of those routines you can almost learn just by watching the video, but at $10 it's a reasonable price.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 months ago
It's one of those routines you can almost learn just by watching the video, but at $10 it's a reasonable price.
Yeah, some basic palming and the turnover move. Really appreciate the straightforward nature of it and will probably pick it up.

Jeff Haas

I got my inexpensive Boston box and the reproduction Morgans this week. The Boston box is nice, similar to the Johnson design. It needs some cleanup with brass polish but otherwise it's fun to use.

The reproduction Morgans...all I can say is wow! They look and feel like a real coin you got at a local coin shop. They are the same diameter as a real Eisenhower dollar coin, but slightly thicker. Details are crisp and sharp, and the edge is strongly milled (not worn down like on a real coin). So palming is a breeze. And the aging process makes them look old, and the two sides stand out and read very well - similar to my Walking Liberties.

I have a reproduction Morgan expanded shell coming...we'll see how good that is.

Mark Papa

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 months ago
What's the routine? And which box do you already have?
It’s an okito oil and water routine (copper and silver) by Juan Luis Rubiales. The final phase requires a switch.

Out of interest, in general there are absolutely no benefits to using a regular Okito over an Okito slot, right?

Mark Papa

Where did you get the reproduction Morgans?

Jeff Haas

You can find the Morgans on Amazon and eBay. Chris has a link in a post earlier in this thread for some he got that are steel so they can be used with magnets.

Jeff Haas

I would think that having a slot Okito box when you didn't need the slot feature might accidentally screw up your routine.

The routines I've read recently that have you switch boxes usually have you switch one type of box for another. For example, you would start with a regular Okito box, and then at some point switch in a Boston box. For a prop like this, I would stick with just the features you need for the routine.

Frank Yuen

Post by Frank Yuen » 2 months ago

I was going to say the same thing. I think you would probably accidentally hold back coins every once in a while if you used a slot box all the time.

Jeff Haas

Also, take a look at Chad Long's "Okito Reversembly" where he uses an Okito box in a Matrix-type routine. Very clever combo of moves and gaff.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
2 months ago
Also, take a look at Chad Long's "Okito Reversembly" where he uses an Okito box in a Matrix-type routine. Very clever combo of moves and gaff.
Yeah, it's ten bucks at Vanishing Inc. Very fine routine, but I'll hold off until I get a matching Okito box for my Buddha Box.

Mark Papa

Curtis Kam explains his full Okito box routine on his latest Penguin Lecture.