Post your Vectors Playing Card (Public Edition) Questions Here!

Support for my Vector Playing Card Project (Standard playing card face in .SVG and .EPS format)
Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post your Vectors Playing Card (Public Edition) Questions Here!

Post by Chris Aguilar » 6 months ago

If you have a question about the open source Vector Playing Card set, please post that as a reply to this message.

Please note that answers to some common questions can be found via the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page.
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

GaryBerard

Post by GaryBerard » 1 month ago

I seem to remember you posting something about getting the color correct when you send off to mpc.com. I cannot find that post. Is there a special setting for the color or is what you have in the vector set correct?

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Post by Chris Aguilar » 1 month ago

Well, it's tough to match colors exactly. My test batch had yellows that were too dark, which should be fixed in the set. The other colors might need adjusting too, if one is trying to fully match bike faces. However, sometimes bike faces don't even match bike faces, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. My solution is to use the cards for packet tricks or incorporate them into a full deck printed at the same time (non bike).
"On the Internet, nobody knows if you're a dog... but everybody knows if you're a jackass."

GaryBerard

Chris Aguilar wrote:
1 month ago
Well, it's tough to match colors exactly. My test batch had yellows that were too dark, which should be fixed in the set. The other colors might need adjusting too, if one is trying to fully match bike faces. However, sometimes bike faces don't even match bike faces, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. My solution is to use the cards for packet tricks or incorporate them into a full deck printed at the same time (non bike).
Thanks for the information.

Jeff Haas

Post by Jeff Haas » 1 month ago

Gary, check the colors of the DeLand gaff I gave you against Bicycles. Those are the revised colors and they"re a good match.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

"Get over it, you homophobic motherfuckers." - Kent Gunn

Social media is a hostile, crap-filled, dumpster-fire of shit.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Jeff Haas wrote:
1 month ago
Gary, check the colors of the DeLand gaff I gave you against Bicycles. Those are the revised colors and they"re a good match.
Did you just use the colors I had in the files verbatim? Those were from the magicians set, which I *think* I also adjusted on the public cards side.

Jeff Haas

I didn't change any of the colors, just cut and pasted the faces.
Conjure Nation...home of banter, hissy fits, bourbon-fueled philosophy and crazy talk!

"...this is back...way, way back...back when the Mystery School still seemed like a good idea..." - Harry Anderson

Jeff Haas

I just compared my printed gaffs to regular Bikes...

- Your yellow is slightly darker than Bicycle yellow. It seems to have a touch of green in it.
- Your blue is a little purple.

Both these colors are just slightly darker than the Bicycle versions. I can't tell on the versions I printed on my inkjet, only the ones makeplayingcards.com printed.

Take a look at the scan attached. My scanner doesn't quite get the details quite right, but if you zoom in, you can see the difference, especially on the blue on the left side of the King's chest. That blue is used everywhere, on the King's face, the border, etc.

And the difference in the yellow can be spotted, too - look at the crown.
Attachments
COLORS.pdf
(388.58 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Thanks Jeff. I'm going to do another sample run soon, to test some new gaffs and run some color tests. I'll set up test cards with varying shades and decide which is the closest. From what I can see, red is ok through MPC for faces, blue needs a tiny tweak, and yellow some more saturation.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

What kind of sucks is that once I get fairly locked/loaded with colors from MPC, I'll only be able to recommend them for matching. Other printers will probably give different results with the same color values. As a bonus, and I might be imagining it, the pages seem to load a bit faster.

GaryBerard

Jeff Haas wrote:
1 month ago
Thanks, Jeff. I’ll take a look.
I’ve recently gone down the bridge rabbit hole. Started teaching beginning bridge again (26 students) and starting to play duplicate.

I plan on sending some cards to mpc. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

One thing that factors into color is the card stock used. On smooth stock, the colors look a bit lighter, on dimpled stock (as the dimples create thousands of little "micro-shadows") the same shade looks a bit darker. The dimples on MPC stock are slightly less prominent than USPCC stock.

Chris Aguilar
Forums Admin

Hm, on Chris Wasshuber's (sp?) site, he has this information about color matching. it's interesting to see that white isn't showing up as "pure white" likely due to darkening of the stock (dimples). I will compare these to my current values.
Color profiling
The pros use sophisticated measurement equipment to define colors and measure color profiles of printers. There are services that do that for you at reasonable prices (take a look at www.cathysprofiles.com who is measuring profiles at $35 a piece). Another alternative is to buy a Colormunki (www.colormunki.com). The Colormunki is a spectrophotometer that helps a great deal in matching colors. It costs about $350 and is therefore not something everybody will immediately buy. The pros who need to repeatedly color match will want to get one. For the rest we can provide some help - read on.

Frank Lehmann was so kind to measure four Bicycle decks from different print runs with his Colormunki. The results are tabulated below.

sRGB Values using Colormonki Photo

Code: Select all

deck	                        White	                  Red	                 Yellow	                Blue
Bicycle blue back #1	      226, 226, 224	         193, 38, 48	        198, 145, 1	       0, 82, 143
Bicycle blue back #2	      226, 227, 224	         193, 38, 48	        211, 156, 0	       0, 77, 127
Bicycle red back #1	      224, 225, 223	         190, 30, 42	        205, 167, 94	       34, 115, 167
Bicycle red back #2	      227, 227, 224	         191, 27, 38	        191, 141, 0	       0, 98, 158
Lybrary cardboard	      227, 229, 229			
Please note that the yellow and blue measurements are probably somewhat off because there is not a large enough area of blue or yellow on a playing card which allows a clean measurement. Nevertheless, I think the numbers should be reasonably close.

As you can see the USPCC colors differ from deck to deck. But Frank's measurements do give you an idea where to start. This set of numbers is only half the story because your printer is not yet profiled or calibrated to really print out the colors you tell him to print out. Nevertheless, with these measurements we have at least defined one side of the problem and specified the colors we need to match.